You Can Quit - We can help you double your chances of success
What’s your new year’s resolution?
- Tired and frustrated about needing a quick puff?
- Family and friends giving you grief about it?
- Feeling run down and sick too often?
*only in participating stores
Our professional help and support will increase your chance of quitting using the My Quit Plan:
- Personalised management plan to help you break the habit
- Planning a quit date and developing strategies to overcome your smoking triggers
- Nicotine replacement therapy for 8-12 weeks
- One on one behavioural support and follow up
Let us help you achieve your goals and live a healthier life
Ask our staff about the My Quit Plan*
Do you want to live a healthier life?
Smoking remains the single largest preventable cause of illness and death in the Australian community. Smokers’ risk of heart disease is 3 times greater, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is up to 6.3 times greater and lung cancer is up to 20 times greater than non- smokers! There are many other health impacts of smoking that may impact your day to day health, symptoms include shortness of breath and reduced fitness levels.
What is the best way to quit smoking?
Many smokers will try to quit “cold turkey”- this is abruptly trying to cut out smoking all together without any assistance. However, less than one in 20 of these unaided quit attempts are successful[i]. By quitting cold turkey you are exposing yourself to a range of withdrawal symptoms making it very difficult to quit.
But don’t worry - we have some good news! The use of aids such as nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) (nicotine patches, gum etc.) has been shown to double the chances of successfully quitting[ii]. If NRT is used in combination with guidance and support from a health care professional such as a pharmacist your chances of quitting are further increased[iii]. In fact, research has shown advice from a pharmacist can significantly enhance the success of a quit attempt[iv].
Our Smoking cessation program can help you achieve your goals
Cincotta offers a smoking cessation program using the latest evidence to ensure you achieve your goals and live a healthier life. The Cincotta “My Quit Plan”, is a personalised management plan that will address nicotine dependence by prescribing an appropriate NRT regimen for you. The program will also provide support and counselling which will address the behavioural side of smoking such as identifying your smoking triggers (coffee, stress, social situations etc.) and working together to develop strategies to overcome these pressures. The program is 12 weeks long and includes 5 follow up sessions to review your progress, discuss any slip ups, set new goals and review your NRT regimen.
How does the program work? What do I have to do?
If you are ready to QUIT we will ask a few more questions:
- How soon after waking do you have your first cigarette?
- How many cigarettes do you smoke a day?
- Have you previously tried to quit?
- Have you ever experienced withdrawal symptoms when you have tried to quit?
We will then develop and individualised My Quit Plan which will include:
- The most appropriate NRT regimen that will work for you and we will explain nicotine addiction and the different methods for managing nicotine withdrawal
- Explore your smoking triggers – and develop strategies to overcome them
- Explain the difference between slip-ups and relapsing and working out coping strategies for high risk situations such as stress, alcohol and social cues to smoke.
- We will set your personal goals and work together to achieve them
- We will have 5 follow up sessions where we record your progress, discuss any slip ups, set new goals and rewards, monitor your symptoms and prescribe new NRT regimens when appropriate.
- You will be reminded about these follow ups via SMS or phone call.
- The program includes an extra incentive for you to quit - by making a $20 deposit at week one, when you reach week 9 we will then credit you with $20 worth of NRT product!
How do I join?
- It’s easy – call up and step into your local Cincotta store and ask them if they are participating in the My Quit Plan service. Our friendly staff are here to help you achieve your goals.
[i] Up to date in the pharmacy – advocating smoking cessation (Scius solutions, GSK) 2015
[ii] Stead, L.F., Perera, R., Bullen, C., Mant, D., & Lancaster, T. (2008). Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking
cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Review, Issue 1.
[iii] Stead L, Bergson G. Physician advice for smoking cessation. Cochrane databased syst rev 2008 (4)
[iv] Vitale F. Professional intervention for smoking cessation: the contribution of the pharmacist. The European journal of public health 2000 September !;10 (suppl 3); 21-24